Friday, May 17, 2013

Pollinator and Pest Research in our Garden This Summer


I met two women lurking (in the nicest way) around our garden last week and struck up a conversation. Turns out they are doing an insect study in project grow gardens this summer in order to learn more about pests and pollinators.

As we talked about the various pests we've experienced in our garden over the last 5 (could it be 5?) years, I mentioned the squash beetles, cutworms, potato beetles, Japanese beetles and more - some of which i've documented in this blog.

I've given them enthusiastic permission to study my plot. Are any of the rest of you interested in doing the same? I think it would be fascinating to have a more scientific read on what we've got living in our garden and perhaps to see if there is variation between our plots.

Here's a flyer describing the project.


No comments: