Thursday, June 18, 2009

Beetles are Turning Beans to Swiss Cheese

I found about 5 beetles of two types on my pole bean plants this evening. A long standing mystery solved tonight with a headlamp and a little patience. I brought them home in a milk jug for further inspection and a soapy bath.

I'm not sure how to repel them. Diatomaceous earth doesn't bother these hard shell guys. It could be that pulling them off and letting the beans grow faster will do the trick. Rob from Garden Works was telling me that usually the bean plants grow fast enough to outrun the damage, but this spring has seen some cool nights which slows growth. I've also read some about planting companion plants to repel or confuse beetles, but will have to read more - or hear comments.

Didn't Neil Young sing "I've seen the beetle and the damage done..."

All the beetles...

A small one...

A big one..

Bean leaf damage..







1 comment:

Andy Brush said...

The beans did well after replanting. They actually came in too thick, so we should have thinned. It may be a matter of planting more than the bugs eat, but then thinning.